We’re pleased to announce that a new complaint resolution toolkit is now available.
The toolkit was developed as a result of discussions with the aged care industry which requested resources to be located centrally.
How can the toolkit help you?
We developed the toolkit to help aged care providers and staff to effectively handle complaints and to support the introduction of the new framework for complaints resolution.
The toolkit aims to help providers understand:
- their roles, responsibilities and involvement in complaints handling
- the components of an effective internal complaint resolution process
- the Scheme’s role and new complaint resolution framework.
The Complaints Principles 2011 (that took effect from 1 September 2011) introduced a new framework for managing complaints. This new framework has a strong focus on local resolution, where consumers and providers are encouraged to resolve issues at the local level, wherever possible, to achieve a timely and positive outcome for the care recipient.
What’s in the toolkit?
The toolkit provides:
- Scheme resources (eg brochures) and website links
- industry feedback alerts – one-page alerts about topical complaints issues and suggestions for aged care providers
- resources to assist with effective complaints handling
- aged care industry resources
- legislation and reports
- links to other related resources and websites.
The following additions to the toolkit will be coming soon:
- Aged Care Complaints Guidelines – the procedures manual for the Scheme’s complaints resolution officers
- What can we learn? reports – analyses of complaints data and trends and ideas for aged care providers to consider
- case studies on complaints handling – examples of good practice across the industry in complaint resolution
- tips for raising consumer awareness – ideas for how aged care providers can ensure care recipients and consumers are aware of how they can raise concerns.
We will be regularly updating the kit when new relevant resources and information become available.
How can I access the toolkit?
You can access the toolkit online by clicking the ‘Industry toolkit’ tab in the top navigation bar on this website. You may also visit http://agedcarecomplaints.govspace.gov.au/toolkit.
We encourage you to subscribe to our website to receive an email alert whenever we publish new information on the site. This will also keep you informed when updates are made to the toolkit.
To subscribe, enter your email address into the ‘Subscribe to updates’ box on the right-hand side of this website.
Contribute and give us your feedback
Please let us know if you have any suggestions or if you come across something that you think should be in the toolkit. If your service has a good approach to complaints handling and you would like to share your experience, we would also like to hear from you.
If you wish to provide feedback, leave a comment or email us at email@example.com. Your feedback will help us to improve the toolkit and to make sure that it is a useful resource for the aged care industry.